Re: Source of optical fiber

At 10:50 AM 1/6/2006, you wrote:
Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

All,

I am trying to find a source for the so called industrial standard 1000µm optic fiber, Which is a 1mm diametre PMMA fiber with an 2.2mmOD polyethylene jacket.

This is the only place I have found, that sells a spool:
http://www.moritexusa.com/products/product_category.php?plid=4&pcid=25

Despite it`s being industry standard and all, I find it hard to find a source, so I suppose I am approaching it the wrong way.

http://www.i-fiberoptics.com/ is a distributor for Mitsubishi Rayon Co, Ltd. (who make the stuff)
http://www.i-fiberoptics.com/fiber/IFOfiber.htm#opt

You might also try http://www.pofeska.com/

Digikey will sell you 25m or 100m (FB140-25-ND or FB140-100-ND) for $43 or $159 respectively. They also have the duplex cables.

Cables Unlimited (http://www.cables-unlimited.inc.com/plastic_optical.html)

it would appear that Infineon makes connectors and photoelectronics for this stuff, so checking their website might be productive.

Any pointers to a supplier is welcomed.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

PS. I have used toslink cable with the plugs cut off, but need to make longer runs than available as audio interconnects. (which I also assume to be too expensive.)