Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig (Revisited)

Series inductance required is approximately 120 to 140 mH for proper pole pig operation. We also insert two series connected 110 Amp 0.232 Ohm resistors to provide the smoothest possible operation. Without the resistors the variac can get "banged" on occasion if the reactor hits saturation in the hysteresis curve.

Richard Hull and Dave Sharpe also noted this in their testing and operation of TCs.

Dr. Resonance

It depends on how much power you want to process. I'm
able to get 70 amps to my 25 kVA pig using a single
225 amp Lincoln on max setting on a JL. I briefly ran
my 10" coil at max welder setting, but didn't record
the amperage reading. One welder should be plenty for
a pretty large coil. 70 amps at 280 volts yields
nearly 20 kVA. I only have a 100 amp circuit, so
that's all I need (for now).

Adam

> Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> In mulling through the archives, I see that Ed
> Wingate
> uses two welders in parallel to drive a 10KVA pig.
> Does it seem reasonable that I need to do the same
> for
> my 10KVA piggie?
>
> Curt.
>

> --- Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  > Original poster: "David Rieben"
>  > <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > Curt,
>  >
>  > It sounds almost like you have a short circuit
>  > somewhere,
>  > as the w

msnip...