Re:vv Critical rise time

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Leigh,

> Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

snip

> Modulating or more accurately repeating at the break rate is the same as
> convolving (in the time domain) by a series of impulses with a period
> equal
> to the break rate. Which is the same as multiplying the spectrum by a
> series
> of impulses. Which just turns the continues spectrum of a single break
> into
> a discrete one with components separated by the break frequency.
>
> <LC> It's been a while since I looked at this properly, so entertain me
> for a moment; would repeating at the break rate not (by definition) be
> the same as modulation by a pulse train? So it then becomes the
> convolution of a pulse train and the resonant frequency of the tank.
> (assuming as we stated above, lumped parameters in the TC).

No to repeat a particular waveform is not the same as modulation if
modulation means multiplication.
Repeating a particular waveform is equivalent to convolution with a train of
impulses with a period equal to the rep rate.
I suspect that you are thinking about a continuous waveform and are chopping
it up.

> I agree the spectrum of a self excited burst mode SSTC could be tricky.
>
> <LC> I guess in the case of the SSTC with feedback you would have to
> either assume steady state operation, (or use chaos theory as in the
> higher order simulation of a phase locked loop).

I believe that modern SSTG operate in small (relative to transient decay)
bursts so the start transient is significant i.e. they never achieve the
steady state response that can be easily obtained from the transfer
function. So there would be very significant errors in assuming steady
state.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400