Re: purpose of a variac?

Possibly Gerry. The closer the alignment, the more phasing will be affected with voltage. I personally haven't found it as a needed adjustment between say 50% and 100%, but then, there are are a lot of variations of rsg's (disk size, electrode size, # of electrodes, speed, voltage, etc..). Some may find more of a phasing variation than others.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Bart,

I bet this is the real reason that an SRSG needs to be rephased as the power is brought up. Other theories were the leakage inductance in the variac and the nonlinarities of the NST. Dmitry will be happy :-))

Gerry R

An rsg is (normally) adjusted for minimal electrode spacing. It "will" fire at reduced voltages. I haven't read the documents your referring to, but I can only assume their thinking rsg (if static gap, then I would agree). Rsg's will fire at reduced voltages.

As the

voltage is turned up by the variac, the electrodes will arc sooner (before alignment).