Re: Multiple Toroids (was: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup)

Hi Curt,

I think the main benefit is to allow the top toroid to be raised and still keep the top of the secondary shielded. Top toroid shields the bottom toroid and bottom toroid shields the top of the coil. There is also some increase in capacitance but not as much as you might think.

Last summer, I tried to raise my one toroid topload as far as possible without getting corona off the corona ring and I still had many strikes from the toroid to the strike rail next to the primary. I will try a two toroid solution this coming summer.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

Speaking of toroids and top loads, what is the
advantage of using two toroids, larger one on top with
the smaller below?  I see this configuration on may
coils and don't understand the reason.

Curt.