Re: LTR caps?

Hi Robert.

If you ballast your pig for 10KVA, your secondary current will be 694ma (short curcuit). The Cres for your pig will be 128 nf. If you use a SRSG at 120pps, you will need 360 nf for the LTR cap (2.8*Cres). If you use a static gap you will need 190 nf for the LTR cap (1.5*Cres). Many dont like to use such a large cap and instead go the ARSG route where the pps is up around 400-500. This allows use of a smaller cap. If you assume 400 pps and all the presentations fire with maximum energy (at say 21000 V), you will need a bang energy of 10000watts / 400 pps or 25 joules per bang. Using 0.5*C*V^2, your Cp will need to be around 110 nf (STR operation). Many operate STR to keep the capacitance value more reasonable. If you allow a larger voltage, the capacitance can be smaller. If you run with a larger pps, the capacitance can also be smaller. Keep in mind that these calculations are crude since not all presentations result in firing and not all firings are at max energy. With STR operation, PFC using capacitance doesnt work so many dont use it. PFC could be done with a shunt inductance, however.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "R. Amaya" <dimon20042004@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everybody,
How do I figure out the LTR cap value I need cause I will be building an LTR cap for a 14,400v 10kva power supply.
Have a nice day,

Robert A.

_