Re: Ground strike currents and time...

At 11:17 PM 6/3/2006, you wrote:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/scantesla/DanQ-08.gif

40V at 10nS rise times!!! That is the limit of the scope now!!! And the real signal is obviously "faster still"...

And that might actually be more the ringing in the wire and/or transmisson line than the actual current waveform. How long is the wire?

6 feet. We are probably just seeing the "ring" of the cable. Like a bell, we hear the ring, but not the strike...

Paul said:

That's a very nice recording of the discharge.  Notice how it
decays away and then comes back a little after 100nS or so.
It's like there's a little echo at about 550nS - a reflection
from something 50 - 80 metres away?  Seems you might have made a
TDR to send pulses into the ground system.  The 'echo', if it is
one, is not inverted, thus indicating a bit of an open circuit
at the discharge frequency.

There is a big problem of course, the waveform has very little DC offset. Instead of being a nice RC discharge such as 108000 e^ (-t/(128 x 31e-12), it is an oscillation. The bell is ringing from the strike, but the actual strike is far too fast to see. Jim suggest the actual strike might be on the order of 10's of pS!!

This was all done to suggest how fast the models should discharge the system in a strike, - That has been answered. Just pick a time, and zero all the variables "instantly" ;-)) I transfer the energy to the load energy. I imagine a fair amount is actually radiated....

If the time is say 100pS. Resistance is gone and only inductance of the path matters as Jim says. If we arc a few inches to another large sphere of considerable capacitance then the inductance of the arc path might be say 100nH. Ipeak = Vp x SQRT (L / C) == 108000 x SQRT(100nH / 31pF) == 6.1 million amps!!! However, the actual current flow might be governed by how fast the electrons can actually "move". Light only travels about in "inch" in 100pS so the electrons in the arc would be governed mostly be the propagation speed of the electrons then. For a say 12 inch sphere, the electrons on the far side need to travel pi x r or 19 inches. That takes 1.6nS. So the current might be a 1/2 sine pulse based on integral of the surface area being discharged over time.

So we can forget about LRC factors and consider it as only a problem in moving charge from the surface of sphere A to sphere B limited only be the speed of light and perhaps electrostatic propagation factors as the electrons travel over the surface of the sphere.

Since C = Q / V We have 31pF = Q / 108000 or Q = 3.35 uCoulomb. The peak current is 2Q/t = 6.7e-6 / 1.6e-9 coulomb/second = 4188 coulomb/second or 4188 amps peak. The current pulse would be:

i(t) = 4188 SIN(1.96e9 x t)  from 0 to 1.6nS.

Forgive simplifications, math errors, and general errors :o))) But that does make sense and it shows I can stop trying to see it on the scope :D It does also suggest that for good big close conductors, the "speed of light" is the limiting factor. If we add long wires and long arc paths things slow down and the equations may change if other factors slow the pulse down more than the speed of light.

For a beat up oxidized corrugated aluminum dryer duct toroid held together with duct tape. A real current pulse reading would me mostly very fast "noise". But for electrically and mathematically nice top terminals, the pulse might be fairly easy to predict accurately. There are probably eddy current and inductance of the sphere surface effect to worry about but stuff like that makes my brain hurt %:-)

That's my thinking of the moment...

Paul also Writes:

I wrote:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/scantesla/DanQ-08.gif

> there's a little echo at about 550nS - a reflection
> from something 50 - 80 metres away?

No.  Near field dirt, concrete, heavy house on top...

Correction, that's 550nS into the trace, only 350nS after the
pulse, so 30 - 50 metres.

That pulse was surprisingly repeatable. Possibly a cable reflection even if they were all terminated. But the loop was 50 ohm in parallel not series so the termination was not really "right" on the source. I did add a 50 ohm tiny resistor in series with the source for proper termination later, but it was all monster noise then...

Terry wrote:
> The 20MHz 110 sees something, but it is pretty garbled.

That 110 signal looks quite interesting.  I shouldn't write it
off. What's that long low frequency ringing?  Have you got the
110 terminated correctly?    And there seems to be a change to
the character of the signal at about 110nS and again at 350nS
after the pulse.

The CTs were terminated correctly. The waveform was zero after the shown point.

Wonder what point in the waveform the discharge cuts off?
At 10nS, 350nS, or much later - after a uS or so?  Can you
capture a light curve?

What is a "light curve"?

Lots going on in that little snap of a discharge.

Mostly noisy ringing I think. The magic "strike" is totally invisible. I could move the probe away and the signal went away too, so the scope and instrument side where clean.

Cheers,

        Terry