Re: Safety Gap Firing

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sometimes there is a resonant voltage rise in the primary circuit. This causes the spark gaps to fire.

Experiment with your pri tap setting. also try elevating your toroid up and down a bit. This will change the reflected wave and beat patterns.

Another cause can be that the coeff. of coupling is too tight. Try elevating the sec and inch and see what happens.

Dr. Resonance

I'd sure appreciate some advice on this problem. My coil seems to run fine as I dial up the variac, but as soon as it hits the 110 volt setting, the safety gaps start firing. I've reverified the optimal primary tap point, so hopefully I've got the tuning right.

Here's some info on the coil that might be helpful:
   * 15/60 NST with a 35kv/0.03 uF Maxwell pulse cap
* spark gap - air-cooled segmented pipe - 6 gaps @ 0.03" each - 0.18" total * safety gap - 3 brass balls (1/4" dia.) - 2 outer balls connected to the NST terminals & center ball to ground. The hot-to-ground gaps are 0.130" or 0.26" total. This was the setting at which the safety gaps just wouldn't fire with only the variac & NST hooked up It doesn't make sense to me that the safety gaps can fire when the spark gap separation is greater. Any help for a struggling semi-newbie?

Dennis Hopkinton MA