Re: Tesla 150th celebrations in Australia

Original poster: "Neal Namowicz" <mr_neal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I didn't see the play in question, but the Boston Museum of Science puts on a pretty awesome high voltage show in their "Theatre of Electricity". Along with the actual electrical show, they put on a separate one man short play that recounts the life and work of Nikola Tesla. Both shows were very good, and even my wife who went along to humor me was quite impressed. It was interesting that they made it very clear before the high voltage show that things would get VERY loud in the theatre, and that it might not be appropriate for small children who might easily be frightened. A few families did get up to leave, for which I was grateful. Beats having small children screaming hysterically next to you. :) On a brief aside, I would just suggest that anyone visiting Boston either take a cab or a valium, because the traffic and streets are horrendous!

Neal.

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 9:09 AM
Subject: Tesla 150th celebrations in Australia

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Tesla forum here in Perth, Western Australia seems to be a very active organisation. I find it really strange that I hadn't heard of them before. Their website is http://teslaforum.com/ but it has been down on a few occasions.

Events planned for the 150th include
One day Tesla conference on 7 July
Unveiling a bust of Tesla 10 July
A one man play on Tesla with Frank Tabbita performed at the local Uni (the same Uni I made a TC for earlier this year)
Celebratory Function

They seem to have a scientific rather than alternative basis and award some uni physics/computing prizes.

Anyone seen the play? Previously performed in the USA in WA and CA. It is performed on a nearly bare stage and there are no electrical props.
http://www.teslaplay.com/

I was able to talk to one of the members and organisers (who in fact is a colleague of mine). He was as surprised as me to find our respective aliases. They are into the history and achievements of Tesla but have not had much to do with the Tesla coils themselves. I hope to change that. At this late stage I hope to have a small Tesla coil display at the conference.

Interesting the level of enthusiasm for Tesla here but we do have a significant Eastern European population here from post war migration.

I will keep you posted about the progress and will give a conference report.

I guess you should start booking flights now....

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/