saturation operational linearity

Hi Steve, All,

The math benders may be able to confirm this, but maybe the proportionality of iron to windings and flux have something to do with the way a MOT acts for instance and suddenly saturates at some critical voltage. I want to believe that it is possible to have a somewhat linear control of a ballast, else what would be the point? On or off. I would go the other way and used double ganged 1256d's in series starting at max inductance and turning down, and one in normal config to control the voltage. People do this, yes?

This is not to say that a solid state like ballast somewhat linear can't be done. I don't do heavy well. Sounds cool to me! Go for it!

My first Electronics teacher said "I can't imagine a chunk of silicon that will ever dissipate more than a couple hundred watts." "The 8080a Cookbook" forward stated that: "the authors never could imagine microprocessors being used for much more than smart thermostats and that sort of thing."

Build it a one or two "U" 19" though, I'm running out of rack space :-))

Regards to All,
Jim Mora