Re: I'm a newbie coiler!

Hi Steve,

Congradulations on your new hobby. You've come the the right place for info/help/etc

Original poster: "Steve Ziuchkovski" <smz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So, I've finally taken the first step and bought the first big piece of my new hobby, the neon sign transformer.

It's a Magnetek 15kv 30ma transfomer. The information on eBay says the part number is 721-111-400, and the label information is that it's a 120v, 60 Hz, 450VA, 30mA transformer. However, I can't find a datasheet on the net for it. Anyone have any information?

What you have is all the info you need (ie, 15KV, 30ma, and 450VA)

If my research and knowledge is correct, this baby puts out 15kv at 30ma, which comes out to 450w. Draws about 3.75 amps from the wall. If I short the secondary terminals together, nothing untowards will happen as long as the mains circuit can provide 3.75 amps without blowing breakers or fuses or melting the wiring at this rating, right?

Essentially correct -- 15KV is open circuit voltage, 30ma is short circuit current, and whether the 450VA is watts or not depends on the load. The NST is current limited so no worry about short circuiting it. This is normal operation for neon signs. The 3.75 amps assumes the output is driving short circuit.

For my first project, I plan to hook this up for a Jacob's Ladder - effectively shorting the secondary. Any issues associated with this?

No, other than the obvious safety issues.

I've read the safety sheet (at <http://www.pupman.com/safety.htm>www.pupman.com/safety.htm),

Great!

As far as the tesla coil plans go - I read an article at <http://www.nutsvolts.com/PDF_Files/tesla.pdf>http://www.nutsvolts.com/PDF_Files/tesla.pdf, and this seems like a pretty simple article for a pretty simple design. However, it's missing some details that I think I might like. Can someone point me to a better article or web site?

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

This is the best site for learning that I've seen.

I'd also like to be able to make some meaurements on the resulting hardware.

Best way to learn. Scope, HV probe, signal source, DMM will be of great use. JAVATC is also a great design tool:

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Where can I find information on measuring the frequencies/voltages/currents present in a tesla coil? How do I go about making HV probes and such, and overcoming the interference I'd be getting by having this circuitry in proximity to my tesla coil, when it's built?

Look in the archieves first.  Tons of info

http://www.pupman.com/

Good luck,

Gerry R.