Re: Need GE MOV data

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
I'm looking to add some MOV protection to my Variac/control box.  I
found a handful of MOV devices, but I can't seem to locate any data
sheets on the web.  The devices are marked with the GE logo, "V150
LAX1002".  Does anyone have a reference or cross-reference book to
indicate what I have?  I'm hoping that the V150 indicates that it will
be fine at 150Vrms, on the 140V side of my Variac.
Thanks in advance,
Gary Lau
MA, USA

Hi Gary,

That is the normal designation for a 150 VAC MOV, and the physical size will dictate the energy and maximum current ratings. Harris used to make MOV's on behalf of GE. And GE simply renumbered them with their own proprietary part numbers for use in their equipment. You'll probably have difficulty getting any specs from GE OR any of their suppliers (due to proprietary information agreements).

However, if you look for a similar sized 150 volt device from Harris (now Littelfuse), you should be able to find the equivalent device that GE probably used:
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/LA.pdf

Best regards,

Bert