Re: SRSG - rotor attachment

Hi Scott,

I wouldn't even try to argue with you about whether or not
my setup is "convnetional" or "risky" from a power transmission
engineer's point of view. You're probably absolutely correct!
I'm also sure it  wouldn't pass OSHA's standards, either! ;^0
As far as that goes, I'm sure most electrical power engineers
(except for maybe the ones on this list) :^)) would tell most, if not all,
of us coilers that from a safety standpoint, our beloved Tesla coils are
"extremely risky and unconvetntional", too, even with all of the
proper dedicated RF grounding, line filtering, ect.  I'm sure an OSHA rep
would have "heart failure" if he were to look at the setup of most of our
coils and would never allow for such an extremely hazardous contraption
to be placed in a public display or an industrial occupational setting! Why do
you think that "Tesla coil" insurance is so exhorbitantly expensive, even for the "real" Tesla coil "pros" like Jeff Parrise, Bill Wysock, or Greg Leyh when they are the ones who "really" know what they're doing? The way I see it, I'm not running my RSG 24/7 for weeks or months at a time, so I think in my situation, my split taper bushing being used "outside the box" of its intended use will serve my purposes just fine ;^)
I WAS safe enough to built my RSG "inside of a Lexan box", though, to protect
myself not only from a hub possibly flying loose, but also from possible flying shards
of tungsten, in case it were to fail in that particular manner.

I think it all comes down to risk management. By the very fact that you build a
Tesla coil, you are taking on some risk, both mechanical and electrical, and probably other risks as well. There's just no way around that! If one cannot deal with this fact, then they just don't need to build a coil at all. End of story! For those of us who are willing to accept the risks involved with this hobby, what we try to do is to
minimize the risk to acceptable levels. By building a Lexan box shield around
my RSG, I'm reducing the risk of possible injury due to possible mechanical
failure of the RSG components to very acceptable levels. I am NOT eliminating
the risk, but I AM greatly reducing it. The same goes for using proper line filtering, dedicated RF grounds, panel metering, ect. Some of us obviously go further to reduce the risks than others but obviously, we all practice a least some level of risk reduction since there seems to be remarkably few reported mishaps (at least mishaps that people
are willing to admit to) ;^) Let's try to keep it that way ;^))

David Rieben