Re: Terry Blake gap Maximum power?

Original poster: Stan <wsmg@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey Jim,
My first sync gap is a motor similar to yours with 3/32" tig tungstens running on 2-12/30's with 3-18 to 21 942's mmc banks on a 530 turn 20ga wire on a 3.5" x 20" form. The 3/32 tungstens were a little light, I then went with 7/32 which helped. Don't get discouraged when you get to running your sync gap it takes awhile to get them in sync and also tune your primary. I'm running a dc propeller gap with 1/4" tungstens with a 7kva bombarder on a 9" coil and as long as I'm in tune it handles 20 minute to 1/2 hour runs and probably more getting around 12' arcs. I powered up the 3.5" coil with the bombarder and propeller and the mmc's limited at 3-5 amps and it was throughing 42" arcs, with the small sync I was only getting 36" with the nsts on a good day otherwise 30".When I ran a static gap I would get 36" all the time. You might have to experiment with your run capacitor to get it to sync good with the size of electrode you use.

Hope this helps
Stan

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I assume you're referring to Terry's "propeller gap" configuration?  My
experience with such a gap goes only as far as using with a 15/60 NST,
though I know that Terry has used it with at least a PT.

I don't think that the motor size directly limits the power that such a
gap can be used with.  It's more the diameter of the tungsten rod
"propeller" and the ability to accommodate temperature rise in the rods
that determines the maximum power.  I've only seen propeller gaps use
5/32" or smaller rods, but I suspect that a much thicker rod could also
work.  You'd have to try it, maybe reducing the length slightly to
reduce the rotational mass if it's right on the edge.  And rather than
using a plastic arbor to hold the rod, use phenolic or G10 to tolerate a
greater temperature rise.  My synchronous propeller gap may be seen at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm.

As far as the motor being able to spin up and synch-lock with a heavy
rod - I'm not sure that there's any real advantage to using a
synchronous gap for high powered systems.  Most pig-powered systems seem
to do better at high break rates with asynchronous RSG's.

One more thing - I'm not even sure that system "power" is the limiting
thing as much as gap current.  Using a high inductance primary to lower
the gap current will probably result in cooler operation and higher
efficiency.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA