Re: grounding question

Hi John,

On the schematic shown and as typical with NST's, the two output leads go directly to the each end of the primary coil. The primary is floating in reference to the secondary. This is because the center of the NST's hv winding is connected to the iron core that it's wound on which is also connected internally to the case. Also, the case and core are often connected to mains ground (there is sometimes debate on that particular connection). You are correct that the bottom secondary should go to RF ground and that the primary should not (in this case).

I prefer (a debate topic sometimes on the list) to connect the case ground to RF ground. Thus, my filters safety gap is fired to RF ground and not mains ground. I only connect Neutral and Hot to the NST from mains power. Some others use mains ground at the case and safety gap. Either will work, but if your house is wired as my own, then when the safety gap fires, the Neutral line throughout the house and everything plugged into the outlets would feel the brunt of the hv arc at the safety gap (this is why I chose RF ground to the case instead of mains ground).

Other transformer selections (PT's, PIG's, homebrews, etc.) often do not have their hv winding connected to the core or to their case. In those instances, one end of the primary can be connected to RF ground (same point as the bottom of the secondary coil). Thus, the two coils are "not floating" and have the same point of voltage reference. When doing that particular hookup, one side of the hv winding is connected to RF ground and the other to one end of the cap. The other end of the cap is connected to the primary winding (usually the outer portion) and the inner winding of the primary to RF ground. I know this hookup is out of reach with your particular transformer but I wanted to explain why some schematics show a primary connection to RF ground.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: John <guipenguin@xxxxxxxxx>

I think I am going to build this simple NST protection filter for my new coil. <http://hot-streamer.com/greg/filter.htm>http://hot-streamer.com/greg/filter.htm

I see the center safety spark gap is grounded to the NST's chasse, which is grounded to mains ground.

Now, am I correct in thinking that I should NOT ground the primary circuit to the same ground as the end of the secondary (as I see in many schematics) as this could pose a threat from putting you in contact with the primary circuit through a secondary spark? for a spark gap Tesla coil, is this circuit that I linked the only thing that should be ground to mains ground? and then ONLY have the end of the secondary coil to a separate RF ground?

I want to make sure I have everything as safe as possible before I even start building my design.

Thanks again,

      John.