Re: High K lower pole tuning DRSSTC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:59:09 -0700
From: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: High K lower pole tuning DRSSTC (fwd)

Hi,

You could do that, but there are also disadvantages of higher coupling.

1. You already mentioned the racing sparks, and 0.385 sounds like an
awefully high goal.

2. Faster energy transfer can be a disadvantage as well. Faster means
more peak current.

The shorter on times do seem to do better for a given bang energy, but
as long as you arent more than a dozen cycles or so, it seems to do
alright. I was able to get 5' sparks with just a half bridge and 30
cycles, as opposed to a full bridge at 14 cycles getting 8'. The
performance does drop off, but you can get good results at 10 cycles
instead working towards 1.5 cycles.

I don't mean to be discouraging though, it could definitely work. I
say go for it, see what you learn. If obtaining high enough coupling
and peak current is a problem, you can always back off a bit and have
a 'regular' DRSSTC. It's cool that you're getting an early start on
this stuff. If I remember correctly, I was about 15 and somewhat of a
newbie as well when I started my DRSSTC work.

Good luck!
-Jimmy Hynes