Re: MOTS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:13:15 -0600
From: S&JY <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MOTS (fwd)

Richard,

I run 6 MOTs in oil in series, with the center of them grounded.  I keep the
voltage to each below 100 and usually below 85 VAC.  Running yours at 80
volts is an excellent idea.  I measured no-load current draw for 4 MOTS:  80
volts was 1 amp, 90 volts drew 3 amps, 100 volts was 5.5 amps and 118 volts
took 17.6 amps!  MOTs stay happy at 90 volts or less.

In my opinion, you are pressing your luck to attempt 12 MOTs in series.  I
have heard of 8 in series, but I am sure 12 in series will be highly
succeptable to breakdown (secondary to core to primary arcing) even under
oil.  The outer windings will have peak voltages of about 6 x 2000 x 2/3 x
1.4 = about 11,200 volts.  Why not just use two banks or three for starters.
Then if you really need more power, buy one of D. C. Cox's distribution
transformers.
--Steve Y.