RE: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Fres is shorthand for the resonant frequency, of the coil.  Coilers tend
to take many liberties with shorthand use;-)

The reason for the rotating mirror is that within the span of one
"bang", there are apparently several discrete spark events, separated by
1/2Fres.  We're interested in seeing the sequence and progression of
spark geometry between each of these events.  If we didn't use a
rotating mirror, all of these events would be largely superimposed and
we couldn't differentiate one event from the others.

Have you ever seen those LED gadgets sometimes at science museums?  At
first glance it looks like a vertical column of LEDs, but if you sweep
your eyes horizontally, you see that there is in fact an image or text
sequence modulated into the LED column.  If you didn't sweep your
glance, you wouldn't see the image.  Same with the streak camera.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA