Re: is this the correct piggy?

Original poster: ben eells <squeels2171@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks to everyone who responded. I always appreciate the feedback. So the pig only puts out 7.2kv, if it's rated at 15kva then what it's lacking in voltage it should be able to make up for in current right? Would running this transformer at 15kva with a relatively low voltage but higher current be a problem? I'll be using a SRSG by the way. From what I understand I should be able to get the same performance from this pig as I could get from a 15kva pig that supplies 12 or 14 kv.

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes"

Ben,

I'd go for the Dr. R. pig if you can afford the
shipping (if you're on his "route", all the better).

Contrary to what is said below, the pig you're
referring to will only do 7.2kV, *not* 12.47kV. When
dealing with single-phase transformers like this one,
the "Y" rating (e.g., 12470Y) should be universally
ignored by Tesla coilers, as it applies only when
multiple transformers are interconnected and used to
supply three-phase power. Only in very rare instances
(e.g., if you're building a monster DC coil like
Electrum) would you be using multiple pigs in such a
configuration. Otherwise, just pretend the "Y" rating
is not there, as it really has nothing to do with any
situation involving only one single-phase pig.

All that said, a number of folks (I remember
specifically Aron and Justin of hvguy.com) have
over-volted their 7.2kV pigs, i.e., by putting 240V
across the 120V lugs. This will make your 7.2kV pig
put out 14.4kV, however it will do so only with great
risk to your pig's health. A friend of mine did this
with a 14.7kV pig, achieving nearly 30kV, however
while running his coil this way, the pig flashed over
internally and was ruined. Ruining hard-to-find
components is bad enough, but what do you do with a
half-ton paperweight? (this was a 25kVA transformer!)

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>Never miss an email again! Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49937/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/> Check it out.