Re: Smaller than resonance?

Hi Justin,

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the right size tank capacitor bank to use with
my new potential transformers.

After much thinking and poking around on the net, I've come to the
conclusion that pole pigs, potential transformers, and any other
transformer (not just NSTs) can hit a resonant condition with the tank
cap.

Yes.

Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.  From what I
understand today, it seems that the resonant cap value is a function of
the inductance of the HV secondary and the line frequency.  Not sure if
the primary side inductance has an effect.

Again, yes. And yes, anything extra C or L on the primary side will be reflected to the secondary side (i.e., ballasts which most of the larger transformers use for current limiting).

It would be nice if I could
simply measure the inductance of my transformer with a meter and work it
all out on paper, but I have a hunch that a reading on a non-energized
core will be different than when current is flowing through the
transformer.

There are methods to find out everything you want to know about the transformer. Open circuit and short circuit testing is required to find current and voltage values and then a little math will help find the rest. This is even true for smaller transformers if you really want to be accurate. It really helps to have a means of measuring the high voltage side (such as a hv AC probe) so you can perform accurate hv side testing.

On to my "real" question.  In looking over several other people's coils
online, it seems that many are running much smaller than resonant tank
caps with these larger transformers with no problems.

Yes, absolutely.

  I say smaller
than resonant as a guess based on results I've seen from JavaTC when
entering the parameters listed on these coil sites.

Is it possible to run STR rather than LTR to protect the transformer and
capacitor bank?  Of course everything will still need to be matched and
tuned.

LTR and STR will prevent the cap from being overcharged as result of transformer resonance. I should mention software simulation in this condition. If a simulation model does not use voltage dependence for gap breakdown, the simulation would actually show the cap voltage rising extremely high for STR cases. In reality, the gap does breakdown and limit the voltage at the cap and bps increases as a result. But also, heat results with higher bps and breakdown voltage changes. A lot there to contemplate (almost impossible to accurately model).

For the LTR case, charge time is increased, so there is a limit of bps based on the time required for the gap voltage to reach it's breakdown. For the STR case, charge time is decreased, and high bps values are easily achieved. However, in both cases, the cap size should be suited to the coil, not the transformer. NST type transformers are better off with LTR because the caps energy release is increased with larger cap sizes up to the point where bps slowing hinders performance. As a matter of fact, the LTR sizes for NST's as shown in programs and documents are based on staying out of resonance and still performing well. For larger transformers, cap sizes are simply suited to the coil parameters and 9 out of 10 cases will be STR.

I am coming to prefer a 1.3 x cap resonance value which Dr. Resonance has expressed a few times. It moves the gap near resonance, but not to the point of killing the NST. It's sort of a max performance value for NST's. This is a slight resonant charging mode where you run just outside resonance. Resonant charging would usually be within the 1.0 to 1.2 x Cres arena. But remember, the closer you are to 1.0, the higher the voltage will be seen at the transformer. Too high, especially with an NST, the more risk you are to an overvoltage breakdown of the NST secondary windings.

A pig running at resonance or even slightly LTR would result in a very large cap energy release (bang size) and the coil must be designed large enough to handle that energy. Typical pig garage coilers will end up with an STR sized cap. Thankfully to Malcolm and Bert, my first coil was a success. If it were not for them, my cap size would have been massive and the word "fire" is what actually caught my attention in those older TCML postings. Now I understand, then I didn't. Although my first coil sucked, it was still a success: 30" sparks and no fire!!! Funny, after enough TCML time, that same coil did 108" sparks (lots of gap changes, 12" added to the secondary, and top load changes).

I've used my pig for even small coils running rather extreme STR without problems (limiting current). However, when running small coils with high current secondary transformers, don't go overboard. A coil can be overcurrented and turn into a blaze of fire. The biggest problem there is that each coil is different (wire sizes, parameters, etc.). Hard to say "when" a coil will burst into flames. Pushing a coil to it's limit is the only way to find out (and that's the end of that coil).

I prefer using a small transformer with a small coil to prevent overindulgence. I think in most cases of overindulgence, the gap will heat and limit current before too much "bad" occurs (maybe), but if the gap is designed for high power and used on a small coil, then it is very possible to burn up the coil. Every now and then, someone will post such an event.

Take care,
Bart

Thanks for any input,

Justin in Austin