Re: is this the correct piggy?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Gerry!  Yeah, I think now that my confusion
arose from a prior discussion about saturable reactors
in which saturation was described as a function simply
of A x Turns.  Of course, this was referring to the
*DC* control winding!  My mistake.

It still surprises me that one would only expect ~140%
from a pig with double the input voltage.  I do seem
to recall that his overvolted pig could start a JL at
nearly twice the distance it could when operating at
normal voltage.  I don't know if this is the best
indicator, though, but I would think it was a good
sign that he was actually getting nearly twice the
voltage out.  Too bad the pig fried.  Otherwise I'd
see about measuring it!  Actually, he's still got it,
and I've been urging him to conduct a proper autopsy
:-)

Perhaps Aron or Justin (of hvguy.com) will chime in
here with their experience, since they not only
overvolted their 7.2kV unit 2x, but also drove it up
to 25kVA, and it was only rated for 5kVA.  I think it
survived, or else they never told of its demise...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE