Re: tuning tesla coil

Original poster: Gerardo Lezcano <lez_gera@xxxxxxxxx>

I also built a Terry TCT. But when using it, I could see several hot spots in the dial.

Maybe because a 555 outputs a square wave (plenty of harmonics), you could have a 300 kHz 1/4 lambda resonant coil, but if you feed it with 100 kHz square, its third harmonic would be exactly at resonant freq of the coil.

So, how could I decide wich hot spot is the fundamental and wich others are harmonics? The lowest frequency point? The brightest?

Gerardo.

@@@

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"

Hi Jim,

Yes, the Terry TC Tuner is a very cool tool. I built one when Terry
first wrote it up. It works very well and has come in handy at times
when I don't have the motivation to pull out the scope, generator,
cables, antenna array, etc..

If using on larger coils where the frequency is low, simply change
the cap value to suit (if I were to do it again, I would switch in a
few different values with a simple dip switch). I also replaced the
potentiometer with a multiturn pot which really helps with precision.

It's also very easy to get the actual numerical frequency. Simply
hook it up to say your secondary, dial in the pot, unhook it, walk
over to the work bench and measure across the tuner outputs with a
frequency meter. Works very well and has matched my scope
verification every time. The fact is, our eyes are well adapted to
distinguishing light intensity. Thus, as you turn the potentiometer,
the bi-directional LED will hit f1 and with a multiturn pot, you can
dial determine resonance very precisely.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: Slurp812
>
>try this...
>
>http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/TCT/TCT.htm
>
>I've built one, but my coil isn't done. However I connected it to my
>secondary, which is done, and it did have a nice narrow sweet spot. It
>seems to work great so far. Thanks Terry!
>

>On 4/10/07, Tesla list wrote:
>
>>Original poster: Jim
>>
>>Hi Folks:
>>
>>My tesla coil is getting close to completion thanks to all of the
>>help received from you.
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tune a 9kv, 60ma tesla
>>coil without the aid of a variac?
>>
>>Also, my spark gap is mounted vertically " I I I I I I ". Is this an
>>adequate design?
>>
>>Thanks for the great help!
>>
>>Jim

Correo Yahoo!