Re: How long? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 08:25:47 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How long? (fwd)

On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 PM, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

Assuming your capacitor(s) is/are sufficiently robust, it comes down
to the ability of your particular spark gap to dissipate heat
effectively.  The maximum I ever ran a large-ish (12kW) coil was
about 5 minutes continuously, when Starz Film Channel shot one of my
coils in our haunted house operation for a commercial (Halloween
horror film series).

That was also the only time I ever saw (in person) the phenomenon of
a thick, bright white, slowly undulating "power arc" slowly growing
outward from the toroid, terminating in the usual branching brush
discharges at the end.  At the time, I attributed this phenomenon to
the small aluminum tape break-out point I'd placed on the toroid as
well as the completely still air of the indoor environment.

Sadly, my boss managed to lose the only copy we received of that
footage, one of the many crimes for which I never forgave him.  It
was quite the impressive shoot, given that it was only for a 30-
second cable TV spot.  Steadicam, large crew, catered...

*sigh*

That was the third time that quality video footage of one of my large
coils running really well has been lost.  Naturally, I have plenty of
footage of large coils running poorly!

But I digress.

If your spark gap is conservatively designed for your power level and
your capacitors are of high quality, there is no reason you shouldn't
be able run almost indefinitely.  I believe I have read posts from
other coilers here claiming runs of 10 minutes or more.

  - Gomez

A long memory is the most subversive idea in America.