RE: eBay x-ray tubes & justified fears (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:00:52 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: eBay x-ray tubes & justified fears (fwd)

Hey Bill,

You bring up some interesting arguments.  You know, with the shoe fitting
X-Ray machines occasionally I hear of some that are --still-- in use in
small towns, normally they are found by collectors accidentally while
visiting small shoe shops.  How on earth could a shoesalesman still be alive
after having and using one so long?  I mean, anyone who's married knows what
their wife is like in a shoe store, and how long they can spend there.  And
the use of this form of flouroscope is long enough to see the bones in your
feet, wiggle your toes around, try to decide if you like them or not...a few
minutes per pair can go by...(and this was using a Coolidge tube)... And
don't forget the kids...  Mother would be looking in one flouroscope, the
kid in the next, and the shoe salesman in the last.

Perhaps it is shoesalesman in particular that are immune to X-Rays.  There
were tens of thousands of physicians that died from overexposure to X-Rays,
mainly from flouroscopes...

About half of the authors on my website died within a decade of their books
being published; the other half lived to be in their eighties.  I am sure
genetics plays some part in it, as with any cancer.
Some have said that X-Rays made with Tesla Coils are safer than those made
with induction coils or static machines.  I have heard horror stories in
both cases about people receiving severe burns from exposures of 20 or 30
minutes worth of X-Rays...which wasn't uncommon before the invention of the
Coolidge tube.  Unlike a common sunburn, X-Ray burns could takes weeks or
months to heal.

As for modern exposures to radiation, I was once propositioned to make a
hidden flouroscope X-Ray machine for public buses in Israel specifically
targeted for arab passengeners that "could" be terrorists hiding concealed
weapons, etc.  The whole idea was completely unethical, and of course I
wanted nothing to do with it.  In some cultures though, it seems that the
ends justifies the means and I wouldn't be surprised if some areas of the
world tolerated X-Rays more than us.  In third world countries they are
still using X-Ray machines that were considered unsafe by our standards half
a century ago.  What is worse, unsafe equipment or no equipment?

I think the term "radiation" in general scares the hell out of people.
People don't understand it for a start.  One of the most common questions I
get from people who visit the museum is if the X-Ray tubes themselves (just
sitting on the shelves) are giving off radiation.  Yet the same people have
no worries about eating foods laced with preservatives and artificial
sweetners, etc - or visiting a tanning salon, which to me all seems a lot
worse than firing up a Crookes tube. . .

Seriously though, I think us collectors and experimenters that deal with
X-Rays and radiations in general should take [better] care when doing so.
Today we are susceptible to many things that cause cancer, and playing with
X-Ray tubes carelessly doesn't help matters any.

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01