Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:16:56 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

Nathan,
     I really don't want to get involved in this, as I am not the type of
person to pick a fight.  But, Something is bugging me and since nobody has
said anything, I will.  Why are you operating your coil when not present?  I
would consider it to be much more dangerous than say, a lit stove (fire,
explosion, etc.).  I would never operate any of my apparatuses without me
being there, or somebody at least as, or more knowledgeable as I (not
somebody who would let it strike anything at all except intentionally, and
not a hydrocarbon filled can).  If room is indeed a problem, roll it
outside, I don't have the luxury of garage space, my large coil lives in my
front yard (which means every time it rains, I have to cover it up, and when
I get water in my MOT oil, I have to freeze it, and pick it out (which is
not fun, the dead bugs are even worse!).  I live with this, so that nobody
gets hurt, there is nothing to strike, except the strike rail, and whatever
objects I put near it.  I have my opinions about your whole story, but I
will keep them to myself, because I am good like that.  Please do everybody
a favor, and practice safe coiling (either move the coil out, or limit the
input power to safe levels).  If you need to do an extended run for whatever
reason, be present, or at least have somebody properly trained and briefed
keeping a very, very close eye on it (preferably the former).  Coiling is a
cool hobby, but (like most cool hobbies unfortunately) there is serious
danger involved.  If your paint can did indeed explode, do everything
possible to prevent it or other similar disasters next time (and don't get
too defensive, if your story is true, you know it and that is all that
matters for now, time will prove you correct and you will have bragging
rights.  If your story is false, then I feel bad for you, you have opened a
rather large can of worms).  Be safe.
Scott Bogard.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)
>Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 06:50:26 -0600 (MDT)

Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink