NST with DC Tesla Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:25:06 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NST with DC Tesla Coil

Hello,

When using a current limited transformer, such as a 15/30 NST, to power
a DC coil, I was wondering how the current limiting fits in.  The power
supply would consist of a bridge rectifier of diodes and a large
smoothing capacitor, so I would expect current spikes at the peaks of
the input 60Hz voltage waveform to keep the smoothing capacitor charged.
I was wondering if these current spikes are limited to 30mA (or 42mA,
which should be the limited current peak of a sine wave), or if they can
provide much more instantaneous current, only limiting the average (or
RMS) current for the whole waveform to 30mA.  If they can provide much
more current, would it be advantageous to limit this peak charging
current in some way?  If so, what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks a lot,
Chris