tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:35:47 -0500
From: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: tesla coil operation illustration

Hi Folks:

You helped me build my 9kv, 60ma tesla coil this past spring. Thanks for
the help it is alot of fun. I was wondering if any body has an
illustration of what is going on when a tesla coil is in operation. I
try to explain the operation to people and do not know how accurate I
am. There is alot of things going on at the same time. It would be nice
to understand this process more.

Sometimes my explanation is something like this      "Imagine a large
tub of water being tapped on the side of the tub with a hammer. Picture
the waves being made. The water waves in the tub will be more frequent
because you are tapping on the tub faster than they can dissipate. Some
waves will eventually coincide with each other and when they do they
will become larger."     Is this a semi-accurate picture? How would you
suggest I elaborate on this picture?

Thanks for all of the great help!
Jim