Re: New guy plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:09:06 EDT
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: New guy plans  (fwd)

In a message dated 8/24/07 9:49:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  thank you  those that have responded  the last couple of days I have  been
> digesting more and more data mined from various web sources  .  I have down
> loaded JavaTc what a lifesaver!!  the time  spent in the math alone was
> going
> to drive me insane < I  am not a math whiz >  my feelings are understand
> the
>  formulas....let the slide rule  figure it out < dating myself there  > . I
> have traded the 1/2 copper pipe for 1/4 inch  saved a  bit of cash on that
> man has copper gone through the roof in the last  year or what? rummaged
> around the outbuilding and found a 100 ft roll  of 15 AWG supertwist
> 210 strand
> wire  maybe can use that  for hook ups , also a bunch of  4 " schedule 40
> ABS.. would that  be O. K. for secondary coil form? was hoping there was a
> Variac out  there but no such luck I think the wives dad got rid of it a
>  year
> or so ago  . so now I'm on  search for that too 120 in  140 out at 10
> should
> be about the right size would it not? I  suppose I shall have to visit the
> dark mistress E-bay , will pick up  the stuff for a terry filter there too
> .
> sorry for the  blathering and the myriad of questions but its better to
> measure twice  and cut once as they say .
>
> thank you again

Hi B,

Your 15 AWG will be fine for hook-ups, thinner needed for coil itself  (24-28)

Make sure your ABS pipe does not contain any carbon pigment. (black or gray
coloring is a possible problem)  Use plastic pipe-cleaning solution to  remove
any carbon-based lettering. Also, some types of sewer-grade pipe have
embedded metallic trash. Check with a strong magnet drawn slowly over  surface. This
will find any Fe-Ni-Co type impurities.

You may have some trouble finding all the Terry Filter parts on E-bay.
Digikey usually has any of the stuff you can't find elsewhere.

A 10-Amp Variac will work fine, so will anything larger, and allow for
expansion later (No TC is ever big enough!). Be wary of military surplus which  may
be designed for 400 Hz.

Good Luck!

Matt D.