Re: [TCML] Kids class Project

3 days?

You could build a poly phase motor model..

Wind 3 or 4 electromagnets (magnet wire on a soft iron core.. nails work in a pinch, so does coat hanger wire)

Orient the magnets like a star around the rotor.. that's the stator
Use a magnetic compass as your "rotor"

Rig up a rotary switch kind of arrangement to run battery voltage through the appropriate coils one at a time (brass "brads" work nicely as electrodes).. as you rotate the switch, the compass needle turns.

You could also use something a bit bigger than a compass (like a bar magnet) on a suitable bearing.