Re: [TCML] calculating primary thickness and surface area

On Dec 3, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Jared Dwarshuis wrote:

You can use a heavy wire

What does the phrase "heavy wire" mean to you?  It might mean something
different to me.  No, don't answer, I'm already annoyed enough (from
reading ahead in the message) to not want to continue this conversation.

and it will handle the current.

Right then, 14 gauge solid house wire it is.  **rolls eyes**

However wires have
a small radius and like to arc between winds. So you can use wire but it
becomes rather risky.

Yes.  I have in fact built a Tesla coil before.

You may not like empirical advice, but it is the best advice that you are
going to get.

May I borrow your crystal ball? Oh wait, it seems to not be working too well, as I have already received advice considerably more helpful (and quite a bit
less condescending) than yours.

Perhaps in time after making expensive mistakes you will see the value of it.

I have been building Tesla coils since around 1976. However, I have taken many breaks from the hobby over the years, and I don't stay current with all
of the developments which others achieve while I'm not paying attention.
There have been a lot of messages I've missed since this list was formed, so it seemed reasonable that someone might have a "rule of thumb" worked out for
primary cross-sectional dimensions.

Thank you for your oh-so-helpful reply.

And now I have some advice for you: stop giving advice.

sincerely,
 - Bill Lemieux