Re: [TCML] Q

Hello Jared,

Jared Dwarshuis wrote:
Hello Bart:

Large top end capacitance represents an extremely favorable impedance. If
you can get the spark length you are after, large top end
capacitance is exactly what you want.
I agree.
Problem is that the voltage drops
considerably when you use a large top end, so sparks wont jump very far.
The supplied charge value is usually quite high and it takes a bit more time to build. Most of us will go with the largest roc as possible for best spark lengths. But good spark lengths can also occur at high currents with a somewhat small ROC as well. At least, that's been my experience.
When building  half wave coils nowadays, we use unbelievably large top end
capacitors, so big in fact,  that the spark just barely initiates. (We know
that the sparks just barely initiate because opening the gap a few more inch
and we get no spark.)
Makes perfect sense. I don't see why 1/4 wave for 1/2 wave would act any differently when it comes to sparks. Sparks are what they are and they follow a general rule of thumb. What you described is true for all coilers.

Take care,
Bart