RE: [TCML] Newbie Grounding Question

Hi Gary,

   I have a question in reference to your statement about strikes to the primary not being able to overvolt the cap because of conservation of energy. I understand that the energy can't be higher but couldn't the voltage from the topload be dangerous for the cap? I suppose that there are easier paths to ground in the primary circuit than through the cap dialectric. My pig coil runs with one side of the xfmr., gap, strike rail and inside primary turn all tied to the rf ground.

   I have seen other references to this in the archives but this seems like a good time to ask.

  Scott

"Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx> wrote:
  I think the use of a ground ring, usually referred to as a strike ring, is controversial. The down side is that it must be situated high enough above the primary so as to make the ring the preferred target, and this in turn reduces the likelihood of getting that really long spark to another intended target.

Whether a strike to the primary coil is actually a bad thing is worth consideration. One's gut-level response is that it is bad, but, at least with non-solid-state coils, primary strikes happen all the time with no ill effects. A primary strike cannot damage (overvolt) the cap, as conservation of energy prohibits the cap from achieving a higher charge than what it started out with. The NST is the only other vulnerable component, and safety gaps and R-C filter "should" keep that safe. I personally don't use one with my 15/60 NST coil.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA