From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:20 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: static spark gaps

Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
Silver was used in early spark gaps without much success. The silver
vaporizes and oxidizes rapidly and your gap will fire for a short
time and then start sputtering.
It gives off a beautiful green blue flame tho!
The only way you could use silver with limited success is to water
cool the gap and use low currents. Not suited for SGTC's unfortunately.

Tungsten carbide does not work well either, you gap gets very hot and
does not spark well.

Pure tungsten or thoriated tungsten works the best.
Some folks use TIG welding electrodes with good success, it just
depends on the type of compound they used to make the electrode.

Frank