RE: grounding

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matt,

> Just last night i connected to the RF ground and
> went to power up.  Every time I ran up my variac to only a few volts,
> my safety breaker poped.  I disconnected from RF ground and the coil
> performed as before.

It sounds like there is an appreciable distance between your ground
connection to your coil and the point where your ground wire actually
penetrates the ground.  The ground wire length is added to the length of
your secondary, thus increasing the inductance and changing the resonance of
the secondary with respect to the primary.

Dave