RE: grounding

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Matt:

When you say your safety breaker tripped - would this be a GFI-equipped
breaker?  GFI's will often trip when powering a Tesla Coil.  I suggest
powering the coil from a non-GFI circuit.

I would strongly recommend against running the coil without a reasonable
RF ground connection.  I have heard a few suggest that a good ground
improves performance but have heard others say that this connection
makes NO performance difference.  What is not mentioned is that without
an RF ground connection, a huge amount of RF will be coupled into your
AC power lines, imperiling the other appliances in your house.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA