Re: Laser guided Tesla Coil

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Hi Dave,

  Do you have a source of free, disposable laser pointers?

If not, try this less expensive "Thought experiment":

1) Imagine a laser pointer strong enough to ionize air.
2) Imagine it vaporizing the chart being pointed at.
3) Would anyone allow "middle-management" types
to buy such a weapon?

Ergo, a low-power laser most probably won't work.
Power available is ORDERS of magnitude below the
required threshold for the effect you seek.

Applied physics needs to be quantitative, not just conceptual.

Matt D.

"Physics Without Mathematics" is like watching a Mime Troupe do Shakespeare"
--NY Times Book Review

In a message dated 2/14/07 3:35:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Has anyone done any experiments to see if a laser beam will conduct
> > high voltage?
>     I haven't.  Its been done by 'professionals'

Is there any chance that the low powered lasers (e.g., laser pointers
et al) would have sufficient effect to help guide a Tesla Coil strike?

I don't have a working TC at the moment. I guess what I'm asking is,
would someone be willing to put one of these puppies on top of their
coil and just see what happens? It's a "probably nothing" but it sure
would be interesting if something happened.

  -- thank you,

  Dave Small