Really big VTTCs

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

List,

I asked this question a couple of years ago, but never really got a definitive answer. I've seen experimenters construct disruptive coils with secondaries from a few inches long to 60 feet tall. Current SSTCs are approaching or surpassing the performance specs of the disruptive coils every day.

By comparison, VTTCs seem to have topped out at a 4" x 20" secondary, driven by one to four 833A tubes. The consensus seems to be that you can get just about as good performance from one 833A as with 4 of them, if you design the coil right. Perhaps 36" discharges seem to be the limit for VTTCs on a good day. Is there some physical or electronic limitation to the design and construction of a really big VTTC? With the availability of big surplus power tubes (10 kW or more) on eBay, and the possibility of multiple parallel free MOTs for input power, is there a physical reason why no one has built a 12 x 60 or 18 x 90 VTTC?
Ten foot sword like discharges would be neat to watch!

Dave