Re: top load smoothness (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:23:56 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: top load smoothness (fwd)

Hi Scott,

I agree with John and Gary. One can achieve good spark lengths with
corrugated tubing. Nothing wrong with using it. It is nice however to
have the ability to pull single spark channels off a toroid and watch it
dance around the toroid which requires a relatively smooth surface.

For larger coils, I participated in one the bulk buys a long time ago
and grabbed a 9" x 30" spun Al toroid. But, for a smaller coil, I used a
corrugated tube 6" diameter and fastened it at the ends with Al tape. I
then mixed plaster of paris and another patching compound (about 50/50)
and covered the toroid (the idea of the mixture was to get the nice hard
plaster look and feel yet have something easy to sand smooth). I placed
a flat board on top and patched in the center and outer areas and let it
dry. After that, the toroid stayed nice and flat. I then just finished
off the upper and lower area. After I was satisfied, I then just sanded
smooth. I covered with thick aluminum foil and rolled it down flat.
Worked out real nice and performs well, but it is a lot of work and
pretty messy. It's top on my 4.5" coil pics at classictesla.

Take care,
Bart