Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:29:19 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: frequently asked questions.

Hey everybody.
     Here is an idea I've been rolling around in my head, I'm fairly new to
the list, but I have already seen several people ask some of the very same
questions I've asked (as a beginner to coiling).  I think Somebody should
put together a frequently asked questions page including but not limited to:
Where to get basic supplies (Lowe's, allied electronics, eBay, all the
common sources, Resonance Labs would be included on this list, as they sell
most everything).
Beginners technical questions (how a coil works, parallel vs series tank
cap, top load size, generally accepted construction techniques, MMC ratings,
Formulas, How do I phase my rotary gap, How do I synchronize my motor,
common reasons why your coil just hums and does nothing else when turned on,
(how to build a MOT ballast, I've seen this one twice since I've been here)
etc).
An extensive list of really good examples of TC web pages (like Gary Lau,
Tesla Downunder, Richie Burnett, etc).
A list of good design programs and where to find them (JavaTC etc)
Obviously a safety briefing (although most good websites have one of these,
I think it would still be a good idea)
     A great deal of this page could be spliced together paragraphs straight
from the archives, and provide the beginner with a neat orderly "road map to
success".  This would reduce the amount of questions that are asked all the
time (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, as we need something to talk
about when everybody is in a creative slump!), and as we find other
frequently asked questions, we can add them, and their answers to the list,
and tell our newbies to read the FAQ and then ask us questions.  I'm sure
there is something like this out there, written by one person or a few
people, but wouldn't it be neat to have one from all our collective
knowledge?  Just a thought.
Scott Bogard.