19 kV MOT stack? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:43:43 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 19 kV MOT stack?

Hey everybody.
     I read in the archives that somebody tried to parallel a MOT and NST to
get high voltage and current, but I have a slightly different idea.  What if
you took a center tapped MOT or OBIT, to get your volts up, and put the
outputs to the case of a MOT, to get oober current.  The first thing to come
to mind is shorting the MOT, but MOT stacks have been successfully extended
to 8 MOTS, 6 more reliably, and by doing something like this, you could put
the primary at a higher potential, reducing the chance of an arc over.
http://www.altair.org/projects/MOTstack2.gif
So If you have a 15 kV NST, each side is 7.5 kV and the MOT primary sits at
2 kV, so the MOT primary is seeing 5.5 kV difference, just over what a 6
stack would see, and less than an 8 stack.  So you could get 19 kV with 6
MOTs and an NST, and you could float the  MOT cores from the secondary to
reduce stress further.  My biggest question is would excess current draw
from kill the NST or doesn't it work that way (would the current come from
the MOT, or does it have to be pulled from the ground in the center of the
NST or OBIT)?  Just a thought.
Scott Bogard.

http://liveearth.msn.com