Re: New guy questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:11:06 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: New guy questions (fwd)

At 07:55 PM 7/18/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

Not super critical..  you probably want to stay away from real long
skinny coils(H/D>10), although they still work.

>2) If I can afford an acrylic/plexiglas over a PVC Sec form, is it worth it?
>(considering dielectric, looks, ease of using an adhesive, etc)

Build your first coil with what ever is easy. The performance
difference is small between various form materials, and PVC pipe or
cardboard tubes are easier to come by.  As far as looks go.. you're
the artist/craftsman, that's up to you.

>3) Best place to score some Cornell Dubilier caps for an mmc: does the Geek
>Group really sell them? to non-members? Should I try eBay or another source?

Geek Group may still sell them.  eBay is a possibility, but make sure
you're getting the right kind.  You can also just order them from a
distributor.

>4) One curiosity question, in my past acquaintance with circularly polarized
>antennae, I was just wondering if there was a winding-sense convention (left
>or right-handed) that applied to coils as well. I've found no such advice
>(probably for an obvious reason). Does it help or not matter at all?

Doesn't matter.
(unless you're winding two coils that you are going to run against each other)