Re: variable inductor primary tuning (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: variable inductor primary tuning (fwd)

I'm sure it works, but at what cost to efficiency and
"Q"?  That's what I don't know.  Still, convenient,
low cost construction & effortless tuning may
outweight the need to milk every possible centimeter
of spark from the available power supply.  Your call.

Search the TCML archive as well as "Google" for the
word: "variometer".  Here's one Google link:

http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/variodes.html

There are several others.  Don't shy away from amateur
radio sites.  These have the best info on variometer
design and construction.  Hams use them as electrical
length adjusters for LF and VLF antennas.

Since you need only a very modest adjustment range
(+/- a few microhenries), you can scale yours way down
from the antena tuner plans.

If you get one working, kindly share your experience
with the list.  I'm interested in this subject too.

YT,

Greg

http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1