Re: Solid state gaps - what happened? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:25:18 +0200
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Solid state gaps - what happened? (fwd)

> Gary:

> There have been plenty of posts on SISG, but little discussion.

true

> The quenching has not been an issue.  The waveform decays on its own in
> about 40 uS.  As a result we have been able to decrease the gate shut-off
> resistor value to as low as 680 ohm.  There are waveforms on the website.

It is true that the waveforms of the tesla coil transfomer decays at a
multible of 40uS. This is a function of the coils coupling and it`s
resonant frequency. It does not show the quench time.
The quenching shows itself best in the primary circuit, and I have
usually looked at the primary voltage (yellow) to determine the quench time:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/resch.jpg
(whoops, I guess it shows a 400uS quench)
The quench happens at the time when the voltage on the primary cap
starts to climb from zero.
I miss a plot of your primary voltage waveform, to determine your real
quench time.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

snip