RE: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:01:40 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V
    (fwd)

There's a good reason NST's are built with secondary mid-point grounded.
Assuming a 15kV secondary voltage - If it was built with no mid-point
ground, both ends of the secondary coil would need to be insulated from
the core to withstand at least 15kV (should the other end be grounded).
But if they ground the midpoint, the secondary may be wound as two 7.5kV
coils, with the inner-most winding directly connected to the core,
significantly reducing the insulation requirement.  Much cheaper to do
it this way, and safer too, as the terminal-to-ground voltage is 7.5kV
max.

Yes I'd go the new-NST route.  It would be a huge bother to have to find
a 240V appliance outlet in the house, and also a bother to lug around a
120/240 step-up xfmr.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:48:23 +0800
> From: westland <westland@xxxxxx>
> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use
with 110V
>     (fwd)
>
> Gary:
>
> Thanks so much for the insight.  I would never have known this.  Is
> there a particular reason for having a tap in the middle of the
secondary?

> I suppose I could grab 230v off of the mains, but my setup is less
than
> 1KVA, so I probably will just buy a step up transformer here (they are
> much cheaper here) and put it in with the transformers.  Or maybe just
> buy some new transformers when I'm in the US
>
> Thanks again
>
> Chris
>
> Tesla list wrote:

The