Re: 15kVA 12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:59:26 -0400
From: timjroche@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 15kVA  12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

I spent the past two days searching the archives (I'm sure I didn't
scratch the surface) and from what I gather to cut a core or not to is
based on availability to you of big variacs and like always personal
experience and personal design of TC. I acquired a 3 stack of variacs that
are 8" diameter and wound with 12 AWG. they were NOS, I took them out of
there original box. unfortunately the model # is so old that there is no
info on the web. the name plate is blank. I had 2 different electronic
stores try to cross ref with no results. so I am using them as a
adjustable ballast on the 15kVA pole pig now instead of the original
setup I had which is a 1156D. there is a surplus store near me going out
of business and giving away 1156D variacs for $150. CHEAP.  1156D's are
rated 10kVA at 120 VAC. my question is, from my understanding, usually the
wire gage determines current. what makes a variac voltage limits? the
inductance? so that when mains voltage is put across it, it does not see
it as a short? is using two 1156Ds stacked for voltage control with 220
VAC RMS mains not a good idea? variacs are built to run at name plate
current but what about voltage? I have only one other experience with over
voltage of a variac. it was a small 120 VAC 3 Amp and when I put 220
across it, it would blow the breaker. but 1156D are one of the biggest on
market. anyone  have any thoughts???