RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:45:08 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

Hi Colin,

> * When you talk about the "E field", is this the high
> frequency time varying field between the top load of a coil
> and the ground?

In the system I am building there will be a short transmission line from the
center of the flat spiral to a brass disc.  The brass disc will be
positioned about 1/4" from the bottom of the tubular third coil and
separated by the thickness of a PVC cap.

The only part of the E field of the primary/secondary circuit that is of
concern for the longitudinal calculations in the tube is the time varying
component (high potential) at the end of the transmission line at the brass
disc.  This time varying component will capactively couple to the third
coil, creating a pure E field with no H field component (at least a very
minimized H field component).  The "pure" E field in the tube is the
condition of the longitudinal wave, which is a displacement of electrons up
and down the copper tube.

> * Don't the field line from such a source mainly terminate in
> the ground near the coil (or at least within a few times the
> coil height)?

It is irrelevant as far as generating longitudinal standing waves in the
third coil goes.  In Tesla's design, the third coil is grounded straight to
Earth.  The longitudinal waves of electrons in the third coil can then
excite free electrons (and negative ions) within the Earth itself.  I won't
be using a ground to the third coil for purposes of simplicity.  I simply
want to create a strong electrostatic field with no current at this point.

> * If they don't, how sharply does the E field drop off with
> distance, in particular is it slower than inverse square?

I have no measurement to give you this answer, yet.  I'm not even sure what
all the factors are that will contribute to the surrounding E field.

> * When you say the ions are "captured by the E field", how
> exactly are they held in one place by an E-field varying in a
> high frequency fashion?

Through resonance.  Acoustic resonance can hold rocks in mid air, it should
not be hard to imagine electrostatic resonance holding adjacent ions in
place.

> * What kind of ion densities are you proposing and how
> quickly does this drop off with distance?

I can't put numbers on it, yet.  But I would expect the ion density to be
proportional to electrostatic potential, and I would expect the drop off to
be proportional to both potential and resonance.  The highest potential and
sharpest resonance should provide the maximum drop off distance.  I would
also expect the third coil to fill the room with all the ions needed.  When
the ion density is right for the frequency and potential of the resonator,
no new ions will be added to the room.

Based upon my personal experience with my first three coil system, I know
the electrostatic field will be very strong and expect this new field to
extend much further.

> * As before, why don't interactions with neutral particles in
> the air dominate the electrostatic forces?

I can't say for sure, but a guess would be that at high enough frequency the
electrons are moving very small distances.  I would guess also that there is
a mechanical resonance frequency for the neutral particles, as well.  If by
chance the neutral particle resonance is a fundamental of the electron
mechanical resonance, it could be possible for the neutral particles to
actually amplify the effect.

>From this article...
http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/e-wall.html

...I also imagine humidity and actual air composition will modify the
overall effect of the surrounding electrostatic field.

There are too many variables to make precise predictions about how the
electrostatic field will work.  However, I do predict that power
transmission will be possible.  The oscillator will try to keep a certain
ion density to match the present operating conditions.  If a capacitive
coupled circuit is placed within the surrounding electrostatic field, ions
will be drawn from the room.  The resonator will then fill in the gap.  The
result will be an effective tunnel of energy from the resonator straight to
the receiver.

I plan to make the third coil adjustable in real time.  If I can build an E
field detector from the parts I have, I'll be able to monitor the buildup of
the E field over time.  If all goes according to plan, I'll need to buy a
hygrometer and other sensors to better understand the nature of the
surrounding field.

I don't have all the answers just yet, but I do have a good sense of how to
get them.  Now that I have some parts, I need to start building.

Dave