RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:34:59 +0100
From: Colin Dancer <colind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the answers but you've missed the point of my question (possibly
due to lack of precision on my part, possibly not).  I've therefore set out
a clear chain of questions, to which I'd value your answers.

The paragraph I was referring to was:

>> I will likely drop this thread again, as there is no point in
>> recapping what we have already said.  The ion density becomes very
>> strong by virtue of the ions emitted by the Tesla coil and captured
>> by the E field.  When the ion density is maximized for the strength
>> of the E field, the Tesla coil no longer emits ions (potential in E
>> field equals potential in coil).  If, however, you build a receiver
>> that taps the potential of the E field, a stream of ions will be
>> emitted by the Tesla coil to fill the "tunnel" of lower potential.
>> Thus, power can be transmitted in a more or less straight line right
>> through the air, just as Tesla claimed.

I believe that you are claiming that the free air for a considerable volume
round a tesla coil (the diameter of this zone must be many times the height
of the coil if you're going to get the long distance energy transfer you
seek) has an E-field which is capable of sustaining a high ion density, and
that you can build a receiver which "taps" the ions from one part of the
field with the ion deficit being repopulated by the tesla coil.

* Can we agree that this is broadly what you were claiming in the quoted
paragraph?

I was then asking you to respond to the fact that once you get a little
distance from a coil (one or more times the height of the coil) the field
lines start to bend down fairly sharply to earth.  I believe this is
inevitable because the charge at the top of the coil has been pulled up from
the ground effectively forming a dipole.

* Can we agree that this is the case? (The only way I can imagine of this
not being true is if you are going to claim that the inverse square law or
conservation of charge is broken.)

The strength of a dipole field is easy to calculate, dropping off as 1/r^3,
meaning it very quickly falls to negligible levels.

Even if the rest of what you say is accurate (which I dispute) this must
mean there will be negligible E-fields once you get any reasonable distance
from the coil

* Agree?

We then get to the question of "streaming of ions" and tapping of the field.

* Are you claiming that the ion field is made up of a mix of positive and
negative ions, plus possibly electrons, or just a single type, or just
electrons?

If you have a mix, then the obvious question is

* what keeps them from just recombining?

If you don't have a mix, then for charge to be conserved you must also be
building up a store of the opposite charge at some location.

* Where is this location?

Finally, there remains the still damning issue of collisions with neutral
particles will inevitably gives short lifetimes and limited bulk motion for
your ions.

* How do you theorise this doesn't damn your scheme?