RE: How to tune? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:16:10 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: How to tune? (fwd)

Drake,
     Assuming you picked reasonable tank capacitances, top loads, etc, I
would suggest just sliding the tap on the primary, good old fashioned trial
and error.  But since you posted this question, my thinking is you want a
more detailed or precise procedure, no?  You should build yourself a Tesla
coil tuner, like this.
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/TCT/TCT.htm
I have never built nor used one, but I am sure it works, as there are many
who will attest to it's accuracy.  If you want to go oober much high tech,
use an oscilloscope, like this.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/teslatutorial/MEASUREMENTS.htm
I have (once again) never used an oscilloscope or signal generator to tune a
coil (If I had one, I would), I have only used them for very basic
experiments at school.
     If you are thinking, "hmmm, the old fashioned way sounds easiest to me"
then just get it in the ballpark by tapping one turn at a time, moving
outward from the center, until you get it close.  use a grounded stick to
draw an arc then making fine adjustments a few inches at a time (make sure
you shut the power off every time you adjust the primary, I'm sure you knew
that already).  The longest arc is "in tune".  This works but it will not be
as precise as the super methods mentioned above, but you will probably have
to do it anyway, to get it close, before applying the gadgets.  Good luck,
let us know how it goes.
Scott Bogard.
P.S.  I remember seeing the guy on the statue, but I couldn't tell you where
to find him, sorry.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: How to tune? (fwd)
>Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:23:19 -0600 (MDT)

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/