Re: France unpotting progress. Proof positive aging Frances/tar potted trans carbon track.

I have had some experience unpotting. Generally a 50-50 mixture of phenol
and methylene chloride will break down the most durable potting compound.
Usually it will do so in about 24 hours."

What does it do to the insulation on the secondary? Methylene chloride is used in paint stripper and in wire stripper too. In fact, the mixture you mention is almost exactly what's in a jar I've used for stripping formvar. I wouldn't put the stuff near a transformer I was trying to salvage.

Ed