RE: The simple problem with Tesla coiling now... Re: Xfmrs

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry...all,

I think one of the key factors to ensuring our
collective nightmares do not come true with regard to
coiling disasters and subsequent regulation, has to do
with our methodology and how we mentally approach
solving our coiling problems.  If we were stricter on
ourselves, we would tend to be more strict in how we
instruct newcomers and beginners.  Critical thinking
should come first and assumptions and generalizations
should be avoided.  We don't all have formal training
in physics and/or engineering, yet this doesn't
relieve us of the resposibility of using the
scientific method as well as we know how and
encouraging others to do so as well.  Good examples
are those who have recommended strict safety policies,
such as keeping one hand in the pocket when
approaching the high current/HV psu, even when the
variac switch is believed to be off and the plug is
out.  Or keeping the plug of the variac (unplugged) in
one hand while adjusting the PSU.

Our hobby (in my opinion) has to do with amateur
science, not a bunch of folks playing around with
toys.
Thanks to Terry and others we have actually encourged
component manufacturers to take notice of our work and
use our data to help design a better product.

It is a lot of fun to us, but then those of us who
have been around for years have earned the right and
the ability to "play" around with this technology.  We
have demonstrated repeatedly that we can do so safely
and wisely.  I think there needs to be an end to
complacency...the kind that leads to us handing over
the plans to a 6-pack MOT stack to a beginner who
hasn't even built a flyback driver successfully.  I
know we can't always force someone to follow a HV
learning curve, but we should be trying for sure.  I
always strongly encourage those who ask me for "plans"
to study the science behind the device first and seek
to understand it fully.  By the time they accomplish
this, they should be able to design their own, and by
then they will have developed the mental tool kit
which will enable them to proceed safely.

I am the type of person who attempts to think
rationally, critically, and skeptically in all areas
of life, not just during scientific endeavors.  I am
not always successful, and I realize not everyone
wants to think like this all the time.  However,
coiling should always be approached scientifically.
People who want to just "throw things together
randomly and see what happens" ought to just stick to
ignition coils and 12v flyback drivers.

I don't think a few electrocutions (worst case
scenario) would make it impossible for us to find MOTs
or build tesla coils anymore.  I don't think a total
alarmest view is justified in light of any evidence
I've seen.  When the internet started becoming
accessable in most every middle class home, kids
started finding pyrotechnic plans on the internet (the
same plans that had been available on BBS's for the
previous decade.  They were now easier to get.  There
were a few "incidents".  Nevertheless...if a person
wanted to find those chemicals nowadays, it would not
be hard for someone with good chemistry training to do
so even in today's climate.  I think there is a useful
analogy here.  I don't see a sticky end for coiling
anytime in the forseeable future.

-Brett